When specifying a fire suppressant, it’s common to list the agent name followed by “or equivalent.” Because of this, there are misconceptions in the market that 3M™ Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection Fluid has an equivalent.
So, let us clarify – 3M Novec 1230 fluid has no equivalent.
Any fire suppression system using generic FK-5-1-12 that says it is equivalent to a system using Novec 1230 fluid is a misrepresentation.
1. A recent FM Global component recognition of a generic FK-5-1-12 agent clearly illustrates that the agent DOES NOT have equivalent performance to 3M Novec 1230 fluid. The generic agent Class C design concentration is 13% higher than 3M Novec 1230 fluid, requiring 13% more fluid.*
3M™ Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection Fluid
*From NFPA 2001 (15) 184.108.40.206 – The minimum design concentration for a Class C hazard shall be the extinguishing concentration, as determined in 220.127.116.11, times a safety factor of 1.35.
2. Even if the agent has Underwriters Laboratory (UL) component recognition, it should not be assumed that it will have an equivalent extinguishing concentration as specified in Novec 1230 fluid’s UL component recognition.
3. The agent is not manufactured using 3M’s proprietary manufacturing process.
4. The agent purity profile does not match the Novec 1230 fluid profile.
5. The agent safety has not been tested in the same rigorous manner as Novec 1230 fluid.
6. It is not manufactured in the U.S.A. at an ISO 9001 and ISO 14001-registered facility.
7. The agent supplier has not submitted the agent for review and approval by the U.S. EPA SNAP Program and other independent bodies (including the German Hygiene Institute, the French Ministry of Health, and the UK’s Halon Alternatives Group).
8. The system was not sourced through a 3M-approved fire suppression original equipment manufacturer (OEM). OEMs of systems using Novec 1230 fluid conducted tests in accordance with VdS, LPCB, CNPP or UL Standard 2166 – Halocarbon Clean Agent Extinguishing System Units, demonstrating their systems’ efficacy. Only these OEMs have been granted access to 3M’s UL component recognitions for Novec 1230 fluid. Together, 3M and its approved system manufacturers provide the confidence that comes with over 15 years of experience in providing quality products for special hazard fire suppression.
9. A UL listed/FM approved system that relies on 3M’s component recognition cannot be filled with an agent from a different manufacturer and be in compliance with its system approval.
When you specify Novec 1230 fluid from 3M you have the assurance that the agent will provide the reliability, quality, performance, safety and trust you have come to expect from 3M.
Combine that with the purchase of a system from one of the 3M-approved OEMs with all the required industry approvals and you can be certain you are getting 3M Novec 1230 and the quality, reliability and performance you depend on to help protect your people, assets and operations.
Make sure you know the differences between 3M™ Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection Fluid and Generic FK-5-1-12. Check out this recent 3M™ Novec™ Hot Topic entitled, Novec 1230 vs. Generic Sources of Supply.
Or explore the new 3M™ Novec™ Brand website for more reasons to specify 3M Novec 1230 fluid.
©3M 2017. All rights reserved.
3M and Novec are trademarks of 3M Company.
All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.